Tuesday, 5 January 2016

5 Pieces of Advice From Uncle Iroh (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

Uncle Iroh is one of my favorite characters on Avatar: The Last Airbender. He is a wise, easy-going man who, unlike most of the Fire Nation's royal family, understands the importance of the balance between the four elements. He retired from his position as General of the Fire Nation Army after his son died in the war, and since then learned from his mistakes and tried his best to help his nephew Zuko, who was banished from the Fire Nation by his own father.
I usually don't like inspirational quotes, but when you get overly attached to characters in a show and you start to relate to them, it gets pretty heavy. Here are five quotes from the second season of Avatar, they apply to whatever you want, whatever makes you feel at ease, it's a matter of personal context after all. 


"You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." 
(S02 E05)

Iroh: "Zuko, you must let go of your feelings of shame if you want your anger to go away."
Zuko: "But I don't feel any shame at all, I'm as proud as ever."
Iroh: "Prince Zuko, pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote for shame." 
(S02 E09)

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others, the other elements, and the other nations will help you become whole." 
(S02 E09)

"While it is always best to believe in one self, a little help from others can be a real blessing." 
(S02 E15)

Aang: "Well, I met with this guru who was supposed to help me master the Avatar State and control this great power, but to do it, I had to let go of someone I love. And I just couldn't."
Iroh: "Perfection and power are overrated. I think you were very wise to choose happiness and love."
Aang: "What happens if we can't save anyone and beat Azula? Without the Avatar State, what if I'm not powerful enough?"
Iroh: "I don't know the answer. Life is like this tunnel sometimes. You can't always see the light at the end. But if you keep moving, you may come to a better place." 
(S02 E20)



No comments:

Post a Comment