Monday, 4 January 2016

Movies of the Month: December

Pom Poko (1994)


I'm usually not a huge fan of Studio Ghibli movies, but this hit me right in the heart. By Isao Takahata, the same director as Grave of the Fireflies (1988) and The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013), this film is about a group of raccoon dogs (tanuki) who try to save their home in the Tama Hills from being destroyed by humans. This was based on the ancient myth that tanuki were shapeshifting animals; some other Japanese folklore references like the gashadokuro and tsukumogami (chōchin-obake and kasa-obake, for example) will also pop-up during this movie.



Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)


A low-budget cult-film directed by Shinya Tsukamoto, about a strange man with a metal fetish. Technically I watched this back in November, it was on my 'Want to Watch' list on Mubi for quite a while, and after talking to a friend who compared it to Lynch's Eraserhead (1977) I decided to finally watch it. Even though it's a surrealist movie, the plot is fairly simple to understand when compared to other movies in that genre, but I still wouldn't recommend this for anyone who doesn't really appreciate this type of approach on film. I mostly liked it for its incredible photography.


No comments:

Post a Comment